Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, new member seeking help!

First post!

Hi all, ive been offered a r5 turbo, but i dont know witch one it is, when i registered with the forums it asked which one and i didnt know! how do i tell? i have not checked what year the car is i have been offered can anyone please point me in the right direction, i understand its probably in the full member section but untill my payment goes thro im stuck in peasant section lol

hopfully somone can help so i know what phase it is and what its worth paying for! untill i look at it i dont know whats been done to it etc etc all i know its is orange/red colour!

what year is what etc etc etc ta

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hi, new member seeking help!

Quote Originally Posted by pgr View Post
    First post!

Hi all, ive been offered a r5 turbo, but i dont know witch one it is, when i registered with the forums it asked which one and i didnt know! how do i tell? i have not checked what year the car is i have been offered can anyone please point me in the right direction, i understand its probably in the full member section but untill my payment goes thro im stuck in peasant section lol

hopfully somone can help so i know what phase it is and what its worth paying for! untill i look at it i dont know whats been done to it etc etc all i know its is orange/red colour!

what year is what etc etc etc ta

thanks
    Without knowing the year, thats kinda hard?

Is the turbo water cooled?

Is the ECU infront of / behind the bulkhead?

What type of body fittings are there?

Have you any pics?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Without knowing the year, thats kinda hard?

Is the turbo water cooled?

Is the ECU infront of / behind the bulkhead?

What type of body fittings are there?

Have you any pics?
    Hi Andy,no pics i didnt find the ecu tbh forgot about that! was a water cooled turbo, to me it looks std bodywise with a set of skirts but im abit new to these!

Its a g reg,

Heres the bad bits, 19 owners resprayed by a 5 year old... i.e overspray in more than enough places! boost valve with no boost guage aftermarket ic looks like a ebay job, half a hard pipe kit normal bits piped, normal oil leak from drain plug though it was flush and flat (probably cross threaded lol) seemed sound were it matters... outside tyre rubbing probably due to being way to low/having way to big wheels or its been shunted! roll cage that looks made from copper pipe, and has been welded by the same muppet that resprayed it! (im a coded welder that has made more than enough roll cages!) alloys that have been resprayed in halfords black out of a tin (good paint just a poor job)... std brakes from what it looked like, 108k miles, clocks have died bar rev guage everthing else worked, no interior bar 2 cheap nasty bucket seats and the dash, no door cards or anything, flush across the boot floor (normal?) o yeah and it has straight through zorst with what looks like a end caped tube for a back box, with a letterbox tail pipe center fitted, rear wiper removed and switch used to run rad fan,got a abit of bubbling coming up on the base of the front windscreen running along the screen, hmmm thinks of other things...

....that will do for now, i understand these cars are getting on and plenty of them have been poorly modded,

SO... whats it worth spares? and what would YOU pay for it,

ta

Post Thanks / Like

need to see a pic really to judge it. but it does sound ****

Post Thanks / Like

also a g reg would be a ph2

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH i wouldnt touch it.... unless it was going for next to nout and was roughly what i wanted...

Paint job will cost anywhere from £500+
    Bleed valve with no boost gauge is not a problem if the fueling has been set up... most likely it hasnt so Engine & Turbo most likely had a hard life and maybe not long left...

Now with all the problems to put right could cost min £1k+...

So put that £1k on top of what you buy the car from you could go and buy plenty of decent 5's out there from £1200+...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    need to see a pic really to judge it. but it does sound ****

Its an intresting one, if i get time to get pics i will, but tbh im considering buying it and sorting it out as a weekend car for me and the mrs...

Thanks for saying which phase it is...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    TBH i wouldnt touch it.... unless it was going for next to nout and was roughly what i wanted...

Paint job will cost anywhere from £500+
    Bleed valve with no boost gauge is not a problem if the fueling has been set up... most likely it hasnt so Engine & Turbo most likely had a hard life and maybe not long left...

Now with all the problems to put right could cost min £1k+...

So put that £1k on top of what you buy the car from you could go and buy plenty of decent 5's out there from £1200+...
    yeah i was guessing a grand to put it right... at least. Hes offered me the car at 600 i was going to try 450-500 considering what it needs plus tax.

A bleed valve and no guage with 19 owners is a in my eyes. if it wasnt so cheap i would have ran a mile! i doubt the fueling has been done tbh nothing has moved on the carb bolt/nut wise also when looking front on to the carb theres a bit that sticks out on the left about half way down (anyone got a pic?) with a bronze pipe coming off it (facing onto it now the pipe goes down at 7 o clock), what is it for as its not connected to anything?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

good luck welcome to the club also

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHIE View Post
    good luck welcome to the club also
    thanks richie, i going to to see if i can view it again this afternoon and put a boost guage on it and see what it comes up at my bet is min 15 psi! std is 10 iirc?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks richie, i going to to see if i can view it again this afternoon and put a boost guage on it and see what it comes up at my bet is min 15 psi! std is 10 iirc?
    Boost set from the factory iirc could have been anything between 7 and 10psi

Post Thanks / Like

also when looking front on to the carb theres a bit that sticks out on the left about half way down (anyone got a pic?) with a bronze pipe coming off it (facing onto it now the pipe goes down at 7 o clock), what is it for as its not connected to anything?

Thanks

Sounds like the excess fuel outlet, it should have a pipe coming from it to the front of the car to dump any fuel away from the hot exhaust manifold. You might wanna fit a pipe to it if you buy the car

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Andy,no pics i didnt find the ecu tbh forgot about that! was a water cooled turbo, to me it looks std bodywise with a set of skirts but im abit new to these!

Its a g reg,

Heres the bad bits, 19 owners resprayed by a 5 year old... i.e overspray in more than enough places! boost valve with no boost guage aftermarket ic looks like a ebay job, half a hard pipe kit normal bits piped, normal oil leak from drain plug though it was flush and flat (probably cross threaded lol) seemed sound were it matters... outside tyre rubbing probably due to being way to low/having way to big wheels or its been shunted! roll cage that looks made from copper pipe, and has been welded by the same muppet that resprayed it! (im a coded welder that has made more than enough roll cages!) alloys that have been resprayed in halfords black out of a tin (good paint just a poor job)... std brakes from what it looked like, 108k miles, clocks have died bar rev guage everthing else worked, no interior bar 2 cheap nasty bucket seats and the dash, no door cards or anything, flush across the boot floor (normal?) o yeah and it has straight through zorst with what looks like a end caped tube for a back box, with a letterbox tail pipe center fitted, rear wiper removed and switch used to run rad fan,got a abit of bubbling coming up on the base of the front windscreen running along the screen, hmmm thinks of other things...

....that will do for now, i understand these cars are getting on and plenty of them have been poorly modded,

SO... whats it worth spares? and what would YOU pay for it,

ta

I don't think it should be how much would you pay, but how much are you prepared to pay once you have got it?

Sounds like a whole heap of work to do, but if your budgets are tight, you are handy with a spanner & welder, are willing to put the work in and able to do it as you are going along then go for it. My car should have been on the scrap yard yonks ago but I (AND A FEW MATES) keep nibbleing away at it.

Dogs go from £400 upwards but a good sound example would set you back £3000, you've got to stick it inbetween those at a guesse.