Post Thanks / Like

When to go Derv

10k in the last 6 months, i can't remember ever doing that kind of mileage in my driving history

So, at what point is it beneficial to have a diesel car? I'm not liking the way the miles are racking up

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When to go Derv

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    10k in the last 6 months, i can't remember ever doing that kind of mileage in my driving history

So, at what point is it beneficial to have a diesel car? I'm not liking the way the miles are racking up
    25k+... Depends tho, pic up a cheap bmw or pug diesel and your laughing...

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the car and the difference in price between the diesel version and petrol.

For example if the diesel is say 2.5k more to buy and produced 55mpg to the petrols 35mpg, using 25k miles as your benchmark, it would cost approximately £4224 a year to fill up with petrol compared with £2809 per year to fill up the diesel. In the first year you would save £1415 running a diesel.

So it really does depend on how long you keep the diesel car and for how long you anticipate doing about 25k miles a year for to answer the question when is it the right time to go diesel.

This is based on £1.32 for petrol and £1.37 for diesel. The £2500 difference is about the average price difference between a basic petrol and diesel approximately not older than 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a good pug 307 estate for around £1500... Put another 50k over the next 2 years, sell for peanuts (or run it into the groud), enjoy a large boot, 55+mpg... I miss my old one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Buy a good pug 307 estate for around £1500... Put another 50k over the next 2 years, sell for peanuts (or run it into the groud), enjoy a large boot, 55+mpg... I miss my old one.
    Gets my vote.

Then you can forget about the price difference between a petrol and diesel and just save about £1500 a year on fuel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
    Gets my vote.

Then you can forget about the price difference between a petrol and diesel and just save about £1500 a year on fuel.
    Exactly pay for itself in the 1st year!!

Post Thanks / Like

Is derv still sensible for cheap motoring? I'm put off by expensive turbo and dual mass flywheel failures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    Is derv still sensible for cheap motoring? I'm put off by expensive turbo and dual mass flywheel failures
    Not to mention the bloody dpf filters.

Post Thanks / Like

Ric should just buy that red extra van from Matt... Cheap diesel (could even chuck some veg oil in to)....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    Not to mention the bloody dpf filters.
    Are they on the later diesel models?

Regarding purchasing a diesel motor it would either be a cheapy estate for 1k or something for 3k to replace the clio.

So the difference between a petrol and diesel car that are worth the same, i imagine over a year the diesel would be better. Trouble is i like throwing the Clio about and enjoy the drive, it's racking up the miles and splashing out on petrol thats becoming a problem.

In an ideal world i'd like a turbo clio as a 2nd car and a derv for work but it's the outlay on 2 cars. I can afford to buy the 2 it's the 2 lots of insurance and tax etc

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

my car I use for work now is a Clio mk 1 a beast of a engine 1149cc engine and gets me around to do my decorating work now I work for myself now I need a motor that is cheap and reliable, if anything goes wrong then I can fix it, but tbh the only thing gone wrong on that is clutch cables, change that in say 5 mins or so so its not to bad. Car was 500 and still going strong and very very clean for 16 yrs old.
    if it was a derv and all goes wrong ill be honest I don't know where to start and if you do get a problem can you fix it/get it fixed,£10 will get about 75miles
    bro had a pug 106 derv and that went well and very far on desiel,depends on what you want mate size of car ect I think, as compared to the seat leon I have the clio is running on caps of petrol I did have a derv van for work, good motor but when it went wrong then I was left and cost £££(the ex boss)

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Ric should just buy that red extra van from Matt... Cheap diesel (could even chuck some veg oil in to)....

Its good fun on the koni coilovers and drilled gtt brakes.
    Does about 100 miles on 1/4 tank.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We've got a Megane 1.9 dci non FAP and we only do 6-8k a year. It cost quite a bit more than the petrol variant (which we had before it) BUT I had the cash to buy the car outright and the ongoing monthly cost of running it is quite a bit less, despite the low miles we do. Overall it's probably not worth it but it feels like it is if you get me?!

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do less than 5k miles a year on my diesel, but it was getting to the point when on long journeys the petrol money was killing me on the 328 bmw, I haven't got the most economic diesel out there BMW 330D but its fun to drive (especially after being mapped) and can get 45mpg rather than the 25mpg if I am lucky. Buying a 10 year old car though I didn't see much difference in price between the diesel and the petrol version of that car.

Post Thanks / Like

Since tax is only £30 a year for a clio dci i guess you can't fault it in any way.

In NL the tax for my dci is €73 a month compared to €30 for a petrol clio 2. Gotta love the Netherlands

Although i make 40tkm a year so it's by far cheaper than running a petrol clio

Post Thanks / Like

Bruv, stick the 1.9tdi PD lump into a 5 or Clio, and enjoy bulletproof reliability & smiles per miles.

J.D

Post Thanks / Like

I went diesel after having a silly car and the miles per gallon difference shocked me!
    I do less than 5k a year but the savings were rediculous. £70 of fuel will last a month no problem. That's with town, back roads and motorways.
    Mine is a VW Bora PD130, it's not a fast car but it has enough torques to keep up with the traffic. I think it's abbrilliant engine I want one in a Lupo.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got little diesel seat ibiza sport. I Picked it up on a 54 plate a year ago with 80k for £1800.

It costs me roughly £57 to fill to the brim and I get about 550 miles with mixed driving (urban/motorway).

Beings as it's the vag pd engine it's super reliable just service it with the correct oil (a must with the pd lump and all is gd!

Also being as it's only a group 5 insurance you save there too plus raid tax at £125 for a full year!

Another gd thing is you don't pay the vw/audi 'tax' but you do get the build quality!

Post Thanks / Like

How do you work out which cars and what years have the VW pd engine in Dave?

My mrs is looking to swap to derv soon from a crappy and thirsty 2004 1.8 Focus.

She did have the GT TDI 150 Golf a few years ago (paid good money) but the damn thing broke its camshaft at 90k a few months later. £900 fix and it was never the same after that. Then sold it on at a loss. I heard the 150bhp was susceptible to this and that the 130bhp was the one to go for. But I always wondered what happened to all these guys that mapped them way beyond 150. Did they all have cam failures?!

Anyway, the point is. A cheap VW PD engine'd motor is on the list. I just want to make sure we avoid making the same mistake, hence the question at the start of this post. Any ideas?

EDIT - just looking on other forums and apparently, if you avoid BXE and BLS engine codes then you're laughing.

AVF/AWX/AVB/AHU/AHH/AFN/AVG/ASZ all seem to be fine. No idea how to find out what code a particular car is though.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 01-11-2013 at 11:19.

Post Thanks / Like

This article on DPF's and diesel vs petrol in general is worth reading.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/c...lter-trap.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Bruv, stick the 1.9tdi PD lump into a 5 or Clio, and enjoy bulletproof reliability & smiles per miles.

J.D
    Great lumps but feel the cr 2.0 lump would be better. It is designed with dpf where as the pd had dpf added to it hence issues

the cr lump revs and drives a lot more like a petrol compared to pd unit. Older derv is a big hit of torque and in light car would just spin wheels all the time. 20vt lump was bad enough lol

I could easily get 40+mpg with the 20vt petrol lump

DG

Post Thanks / Like

To add my 5p worth

running the octavia vrs derv I get 38-41mpg average and I never drive it nice. I do find it hard work to get above 50mpg unless its a steady 50

tows great and 36mpg towing

in comparison same driving in a petrol see high mod to high 20s so with 26k miles personal use since December it save me cash

I do have diesel though

DG

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, once you're doing more than 250miles/week you want a diesel. All depends on the maths, so start by spreadsheeting the cost over 5 years.

Our Octy 2.0tdi gets ~ 50mpg
    Clio DCi80 gets ~70mpg

Octy insurance is about £450. Octy tax is £150.
    Clio insurance is less than < £300 for 18k miles/year. Clio tax is £20/year.

It's a Clio you want

Post Thanks / Like

i've got a 2.0 litre Touran (7 seater) PD BKD engine. - i drive it fairly aggressively and get a consistant 40mpg.- on along run that goes up to 50mpg easily.

you can easily chip these too. Both me and Adey have had varying degrees of success with this. - buy a copy MPPS off ebay for about £29. then buy a map off blacksmoke for £40/45.
    (then blow your turbo up as the BKD's are abit chocolatey on the turbo front. -you really need a hybrid to cope)

darkside development do alot of bits for all VAG cars.
    they got their PD130 engined lupo to do a 10.8 1/4.....
    http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/arosa-1-9-8v-blt/