Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so its thrown a rod.... probably....

What to do now..... very loud rattling noise from engine and significant loss of power! Pulled over still very noisy. ..... called rac on toe back home. No oil spilt but engine oil light was on oil pressure fault.... but was checked before now and was faulty switch changed switch..... as its a clio 1.2 tce with 163bhp its not easy to find parts or people who know their stuff to fix it.... :-( help.....

Forged rods are £800 + vat
    Forged pistons £800+vat
    Plus rebuild cost.......

Replaced with second hand standard unit £1500 ish that will throw another rod some time again!!!

Mate cant rebuild as cant balance crank etc etc....

Oh the headache......

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: so its thrown a rod.... probably....

sounds like a shell might of spun, only way for you to diagnose an accurate fault is pull it apart and see the damage and try to work out the cause. and worry about costs then

Why can't the crank be re-grinded and balanced?
    Last edited by James5; 21-10-2013 at 16:26.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westytce View Post
    its not easy to find parts or people who know their stuff to fix it.... :-( help.....

Mate cant rebuild as cant balance crank etc etc....
    Who was it who tweaked the car in the first place? If it was your mate, and he thinks it needs crank work but can't do the balancing, can you not get it balanced elsewhere and have him do everything else?

As James says, you may as well pull it apart first and see what the problem really is.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The spec is a 1.2 tce engine. 182 injectors, ko3 turbo.

Ktec added the injectors at my request then mapped it

Fast road conversions kent built the manifold custom fitted the turbo. Front mount etc

Standard internals.

The car didnt show any signs of this happening. Always starts..... not overly tappy on iddle drove well.... hmmmm

Guys can you point me towards somewhere someone who can help with a rebuild or engine swop etc.

Post Thanks / Like

It you're not going to pull the thing apart yourself and assuming it is the internals and that those internals are standard Renault, then most engine places will be able to rebuild or replace it. The custom stuff doesn't sound like it's been affected.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    It you're not going to pull the thing apart yourself and assuming it is the internals and that those internals are standard Renault, then most engine places will be able to rebuild or replace it. The custom stuff doesn't sound like it's been affected.
    I cant take it apart. Its definitely innternal. :-(

Maybe ill just buy a 5!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Who was it who tweaked the car in the first place? If it was your mate, and he thinks it needs crank work but can't do the balancing, can you not get it balanced elsewhere and have him do everything else?

As James says, you may as well pull it apart first and see what the problem really is.
    My mate andy owns a garave in wales and does all the service work to my cars.

Its not been tweaked by him. I asked him to do a rebuild he said he cant due to not having a trailor or the tools for the crank etc etc. Ktec and fast road conversions are the 2 who I chose to do the work for me.

I could have a local garage strip it I guess and see what the problem is for me. Then go from there

Post Thanks / Like

xnr engineering in guildford are great for working on cranks mate 01483 862888

Post Thanks / Like

Mate really sorry to hear this.

If can help in any way i am only round the corner

Adam

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Right guys ive had the day to calm down...... so i think ill have a local garage strip the engine tonsee whats what. .....

Buy a second hand donar engine...... and as im happy to be without the car for a while. ... just have to be careful on the motorbike. .... buy any parts that are needed.... forged pistons or rods etc.... then have the newer engine built up with better parts....

Hopefully a winter project for the french trip next year......

Makes sense to me....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bood View Post
    Mate really sorry to hear this.

If can help in any way i am only round the corner

Adam
    Thanks Adam :-) could always lend me your 5 lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the oil pump was up to the extra effort. prob just a shell (hopefully) but need to find out why it went in the 1st place. Any decent engine builder can take on the job RE the forged stuff, but do you need that for such small power hike ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    I wonder if the oil pump was up to the extra effort. prob just a shell (hopefully) but need to find out why it went in the 1st place. Any decent engine builder can take on the job RE the forged stuff, but do you need that for such small power hike ?
    It was 63% increase in power. From a 1197cc 163bhp is no small power imo. Prob best its forged if im to keep it. Now its off road if funds allow could have cams done head work and more cooling etc.... but not sure about that yet. Anyother recommendations for engine builders down south.... im in hampshire. Portsmouth way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westytce View Post
    It was 63% increase in power. From a 1197cc 163bhp is no small power imo. Prob best its forged if im to keep it. Now its off road if funds allow could have cams done head work and more cooling etc.... but not sure about that yet. Anyother recommendations for engine builders down south.... im in hampshire. Portsmouth way.
    Ah, wasn't sure what they put out standard, pretty good gains then
    Not sure on the engineering side as been out of touch with all that for a while..