Post Thanks / Like

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MXV tyres on fleabay

I've got a pair of new unused ones here

For sale for the right offer. Perfect for a concourse resto.

Ross

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ross, what would you be looking for out of interest for the two? I guess everybody will have a different view as to what they are worth.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got offered £100 for them the other day by a fella on the Facebook page but haven't heard back from him since. Various people have also made offers of the same and when I've accepted, I've never heard back from them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed 66 View Post
    Well I got offered £100 for them the other day by a fella on the Facebook page but haven't heard back from him since. Various people have also made offers of the same and when I've accepted, I've never heard back from them
    That's how it works... Had a few offers on my forged bottom end, and some general interest but nobody see's it through

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for letting me know. Bit much for me, but I hope you find a genuine buyer mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much? £50 a tyre for brand new original OE tyres that haven't been available in years?

Blimey, you'd be lucky to get the crappy new equivalents for that price, if at all, as they are in short supply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Too much? £50 a tyre for brand new original OE tyres that haven't been available in years?

Blimey, you'd be lucky to get the crappy new equivalents for that price, if at all, as they are in short supply.
    It depends how you look at it, to many they are worse than useless in that they are dangerous. How much then?
    I have to admit to being slightly nervous driving on mine, so how much for what are nothing more than "just for show".

Just playing devils advocate here, i would like them.

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be in the slightest bit nervous driving on them. I've driven on tyres from the 70's at speed plenty of times without incident.

But it is each to their own and its well documented about the recommended shelf life of a tyre. Luckily Michelin are extremely well made and wouldn't degrade like a 'Micky ping pong ditch finder'

As I say though, perfect for a concourse resto

Post Thanks / Like

I've driven on very old MXV's, and I wouldn't choose to do it again! One of them ballooned on the sidewall

I've got a set of new MXV Coupe tyres, and I'd never drive on them!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post

Too much for me...very limited funds to spend on my car. However, to the next man they may be a bargain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Too much for me...very limited funds to spend on my car. However, to the next man they may be a bargain.

If I were doing a concours/show car I'd happily pay that, even though I wouldn't drive on them!

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly, I emailed Michelin UK today and asked them for their advice on the MXV'x we are talking about...should they still be driven on or not. Just opened up my emails and I have a reply.

To cut a long story short, the reply said that as long as the tyres had no visible sign of cracking or crazing then they should still be okay to use.

Also, as your particular tyres were made in France, they have the DOT number on the them. According to Michelin, the two tyres you have were manufactured in the first week of 1994

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I dated them when I first got them from michelins website. They've been stored very well over the years and there's nothing to suggest that they're more than a few months old.

So there it is, a thumbs up from Michelin themselves

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand this oe stuff to a degree but what's next, " nah mate mines a better example, you don't have oe ball joint covers"

Post Thanks / Like

if i was doing an OE car i would get a set of rims with mxv fitted just for the looks .

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Michelins are one of the worse tyres when it comes to cracking side walls.. on the shelf there fine, on a car 4 years seems about the limit and there cracking.. mums clio 182 rears had 6mm left after 30k 4 yrs, but the cracks started so off they went, fronts wore out..

ive been in the tyre game so seen many a Michelin come off early, they eat the miles like no other but at a cost..

that said after putting toyos and bridgestones on the clio, ive gone back to Michelins as they are worth the premium despite my opinion on the life of them..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I thought that's what you meant Hammer but the way you wrote it made it look like you were in the market for a couple of MXVs and that these were too pricey.

I'd like to think I'm in the market for an Aston but have very limited funds so all those listed at market value are too much for me. So in reality I'm not really in the market for them.

As Michelin say, they will be fine if they aren't cracked or crazed but let's face it, anyone buying these with the intention of driving their GTT on them to the max really needs to be looking for other tyres!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    I can understand this oe stuff to a degree but what's next, " nah mate mines a better example, you don't have oe ball joint covers"
    I agree RS. I'm not sure I'd do the OE thing either personally, although I love watching other people recreate a bit of history, and in the process keep good condition GTTs on the roads.

Likewise, I wouldn't spend all my time and money trying to go tiny increments quicker on a quarter mile of tarmac. Where does that rank on the scale of life achievements and time well spent? Still, I really enjoy watching others build these awesome machines in the pursuit of it.

Most material pursuits in life can be justifiably belittled relatively easily, so it just comes down to horses for courses.
    Last edited by Trevhib; 01-08-2013 at 10:52.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Trevhib;342894]I agree RS. I'm not sure I'd do the OE thing either personally, although I love watching other people recreate a bit of history, and in the process keep good condition GTTs on the roads.

Likewise, I wouldn't spend all my time and money trying to go tiny increments quicker on a quarter mile of tarmac. Where does that rank on the scale of life achievements and time well spent? Still, I really enjoy watching others build these awesome machines in the pursuit of it.

Most material pursuits in life can be justifiably belittled relatively easily, so it just comes down to horses for courses. :agree

It's all the small things that make a big difference, just ask my wife