Post Thanks / Like

Vw t4 campa project

Anyone got one? What's the faults with these things my life's taking a change with my second child on the way so I might be selling the 5 or breaking it to pay for one of these t4s any help would be much appreciated..

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vw t4 campa project

Cool vans, but still hold strong money.
    If you get a pop top, make sure it's in good order and not split.
    Check that everything works on the converted versions.
    The engines are good, 2.4 d is thirsty and a bit slow but bombproof/strong if the timing is set properly, 1.9 Td is a bit wheezy and turbos go.
    Rust can be an issue around the wheel arches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nottswoody View Post
    Anyone got one? What's the faults with these things my life's taking a change with my second child on the way so I might be selling the 5 or breaking it to pay for one of these t4s any help would be much appreciated..
    Noooooooooo! Don't! Do it pal you've only just rebuilt the old girl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andyturbo! View Post
    Noooooooooo! Don't! Do it pal you've only just rebuilt the old girl
    Unfortunately iv put too much in and taken up too many daddy hrs away that I won't get back I was going to put it in the garage for a couple of years but lets face it I won't get back to having spare time ever sadly it's worth more in parts.. My mrs doesn't get maternity pay at work so one of the cars needs Togo and I can't see family understanding me keeping the 5 on the road while the mrs walks..the van would be a good project and a cool family fun bus with a twist because you know it's not staying standard lol..time to think it over.

The reason for this I couldn't get time off work and my mrs and nipper went away on hol without me on my daughters first holiday.. This will never happen again.
    Time to think it over

Committee Member
    Events
    Post Thanks / Like

An expanding family is the exact reason I bought a t4 in march. I've had one before and they're great vans and after buying a 2.5tdi last time, I knew I couldn't settle for anything less this time round either.

I personally wouldn't touch any of the 4 cylinders and the 2.4 N/A 5 pot is a bit lame. The 2.8 vr6 petrol would be a hoot but low to mid 20s on the mpg would make it impractical and I don't like autos which they all are.

The 2.5 comes as either 88bhp (both of mine were/are 88s) or the 102 bhp. The only difference being a standard fit intercooler. 88bhp is more than adequate for a t4. It'll sit at 85 - 90 all day on a motorway and top out at just over a tonne.

They're really easy to get power from too. You can take the 88 or 102 to 170-180bhp with an intercooler, decat, egr delete, bigger injectors and nozzles and a remap. Europe got a 143bhp version from the factory that we never did

Fuel economy from the 2.5 is amazing too. A few years ago I took mine to Newquay, fully loaded with 4 adults and luggage. Diesel was £1.25 a litre and it took £102 to fill but I got we'll over 1,000 miles to that. My current one doesn't go below 40mpg at all.

I've just bought a caravelle interior for mine which aren't cheap but will make it an awesome family wagon.

Finally, don't be afraid of high mileage. Mine first one had done 207,000 when I bought it and my current one has 281,000 on it and apart from a slack hydraulic lifter runs like clockwork. A local taxi driver has one that he advertised on eBay recently for £6,000. It had 'only' done 611,000 miles!

Great great vans

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately iv put too much in and taken up too many daddy hrs away that I won't get back I was going to put it in the garage for a couple of years but lets face it I won't get back to having spare time ever sadly it's worth more in parts.. My mrs doesn't get maternity pay at work so one of the cars needs Togo and I can't see family understanding me keeping the 5 on the road while the mrs walks..the van would be a good project and a cool family fun bus with a twist because you know it's not staying standard lol..time to think it over.

The reason for this I couldn't get time off work and my mrs and nipper went away on hol without me on my daughters first holiday.. This will never happen again.
    Time to think it over
    Ah fair enough mate needs must and all

Post Thanks / Like

remember you will have to pay a charge to go into london with a pre 2002 van.....

Post Thanks / Like

A guy at work has just bought one.He paid 10k for a bus that sounds like a tractor.lol.Looks the part from the outside but you cant get away from the fact its a van.

Post Thanks / Like

This site isn`too bad for info www.t4forum.co.uk ...I`ve had a 97 Caravelle for 18mths and love it stripped out the back for a rock n roll bed and a cooker a bit of a decent sound system and a pair of captains chairs and well away the caravelle is cheaper insurance than the vans as well as not classed as a commercial vehicle fully comp is £219 per year..Is a great old girl for anything and everything and if and when we get decent weather the 5 comes out at weekends..

Post Thanks / Like

My mate bought a Camper van thathad been restored, he picked it up for 10K... He has then made it to his spec, interior (TV, trim, fridge, etc...), engine, wheels.. he has spent 25K doing this, so his van owes his 35K.

Each to their own

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    remember you will have to pay a charge to go into london with a pre 2002 van.....
    Iv dodged London for 36yrs and have no plans going there

Post Thanks / Like

Iv dodged London for 36yrs and have no plans going there
    Me two! Pal I've never been and don't ever intend too