Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mountain Bike Suspension

Anyone on here any good with mountain bikes I basically have a Mountain Bike that seems to have faulty front suspension. I am currently in the process of moving house and have not used the bike for a while thought why not have a little go but I have noticed that the front dampers seem to be seized (don't do feck all ) The bike has been stored under cover and with a blanket on for a bout 1 year and not been used the rest of the bike works fine other than the front dampers don't move at all no signs of rusting.

Does anyone know if I can strip them down my self?? they are TGS 207E front shocks (Not the best by any mean's)

Any advise welcome?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James5; 02-10-2011 at 23:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mountain Bike Suspension

You can get them serviced by a local bike shop cheaply. Why are you using road tyres on a full susser anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    You can get them serviced by a local bike shop cheaply. Why are you using road tyres on a full susser anyway?
    Do you really need to ask Marc......

Post Thanks / Like

I know I know proper batty looking , but I do have a pair of Continental Baron tyres for it to go on

Anyway suspension is currently in bit's in my kitchen ssshhh don't tell the Mrs's.

does anyone know if they are supposed to be oil filled?? I can't seem to find info about them on da web

Brand is top gun model - TGS 207E
    Last edited by James5; 03-10-2011 at 15:57.

Post Thanks / Like

Did they have 2 springs in either side ? they may have been oil or gas filled, prob fooked now though, or they may have been stuck & just run springs, you can pick up a new set (prob better) for about £80

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Did they have 2 springs in either side ? they may have been oil or gas filled, prob fooked now though, or they may have been stuck & just run springs, you can pick up a new set (prob better) for about £80

I'll buy a new set then, they have springs in them, I undone the damping bolt's first at the bottom and what looked and smelt like dirty water came out. Gave them some force and I have got them to move now but they still don't feel right.

I'll see if I can source a decent set of front shocks and get the proper tyres back on

Post Thanks / Like

Dirt Jumper shocks are pretty good, just fine a descent second hand set and bang them on.. Not sayin there the best but bang for buck there good, mine take serious abuse when i hit the trails and cope well.

Post Thanks / Like

Those shocks are **** matey. Defo not gas filled, would just have a spring in either side some plastic sliders and a bit of grease. As stated not worth the bother just get some second hand bombers or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I can prob sort you out a set of forks for a small fee. Got plenty knocking about.

Or if you have a GT Turbo starter motor we could strike a deal!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by going_downhill View Post
    I can prob sort you out a set of forks for a small fee. Got plenty knocking about.

Or if you have a GT Turbo starter motor we could strike a deal!

Sounds good not got much GT Turbo stuff though unfortunatly as had a bit of a clear out recently so what I do have is just odd's and sod's as per my classifieds advert really.

I have been to Halfords just to see what they can get and do and they have said they can not refurb the brand of my shock's but they can get me a different brand shock that should work, Rock shox RS604601 it has 100mm travel and I will need to cut the top down. these are the roxkshox models halfords advised will fit XC28 model, XC30TK, XC32TK

What can you do me?? I really want the shock in red but black will be my other choice as you can see the colour of the bike in the op pic would look with a blue shock. They also need to be able to take disc brake
    Last edited by James5; 03-10-2011 at 13:33.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing a cable disc brake. How big is the rotor and who make the brake? Halfords will charge an arm and a leg. I have never had a front brake on any bike and hardly ever feel i need it. Do away with it and then fit any old shock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    I'm guessing a cable disc brake. How big is the rotor and who make the brake? Halfords will charge an arm and a leg. I have never had a front brake on any bike and hardly ever feel i need it. Do away with it and then fit any old shock.

Yes cable, 160 size . Halfrauds wasn't a bad price but I can get the next model up for the same price Halfrauds quoted.

I have never used front brake since a kid as went over handle bars face first didn't feel nice explains the mutated looks I suppose I'll wait to see what going downhill he can do for me
    Last edited by James5; 04-10-2011 at 09:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

A little ashamed to admit it on here but i am a bike tech for halfords.
    That bike in its day wasnt half bad, but the forks do let it down, they are fooked.
    What your local store have quoted you is about rite for a new set of forks, they start from about £40 for a standard pair of rock shocks or suntour forks with 100mm of travel, no lock out and disc mount. Fitting should cost no more than £20/£30. Any new fork you buy will need cutting to the correct size then a star nut will need to be nocked down inside them. Not sure how close to me you are, as id offer to do them for you. If you buy a second hand set just make sure the steer tube is long enough for your set up.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're woried about fitting em bring it to the meet and il slap em on for ya. Nothing that you couldn't do tho matey, just make sure you don't cut the fork to short also don't make it to long other wise the bearings won't tighten enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by actiondanuk View Post
    Hi

A little ashamed to admit it on here but i am a bike tech for halfords.
    That bike in its day wasnt half bad, but the forks do let it down, they are fooked.
    What your local store have quoted you is about rite for a new set of forks, they start from about £40 for a standard pair of rock shocks or suntour forks with 100mm of travel, no lock out and disc mount. Fitting should cost no more than £20/£30. Any new fork you buy will need cutting to the correct size then a star nut will need to be nocked down inside them. Not sure how close to me you are, as id offer to do them for you. If you buy a second hand set just make sure the steer tube is long enough for your set up.

Yeah the bike is fairly old now bought it back in 2002 and only used it a few times, I do like it very comfy and so bloody light. Took the shock of again tonight and jizzed (swarfega Jizzer cleaner that is ) inside the shock fork, cleaned the springs up as well rusted up, covered the whole lot in loads and loads of grease, packed he inside of the fork up with grease aswell and they only go and fecking work

Now got to work out how to sort the disc brakes out so I can actually stop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Yeah the bike is fairly old now bought it back in 2002 and only used it a few times, I do like it very comfy and so bloody light. Took the shock of again tonight and jizzed (swarfega Jizzer cleaner that is ) inside the shock fork, cleaned the springs up as well rusted up, covered the whole lot in loads and loads of grease, packed he inside of the fork up with grease aswell and they only go and fecking work

Now got to work out how to sort the disc brakes out so I can actually stop
    Cable discs suck big time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Cable discs suck big time

Tell me about it what ever I do it just isn't that good,

Post Thanks / Like

Pmt it and gently rub a bit of tar (roofing or road) on the disc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    Pmt it and gently rub a bit of tar (roofing or road) on the disc
    Snapped the front brake cable last night as was just trying to adjust it and the cable just would not move.

Anyone know of a cheap hydraulic brake set for sale front and rear's?? Also is there a specific kit that I need to get to fit my bike?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Snapped the front brake cable last night as was just trying to adjust it and the cable just would not move.

Anyone know of a cheap hydraulic brake set for sale front and rear's?? Also is there a specific kit that I need to get to fit my bike?
    You just need some disc brakes for I.S. "international standard" disc mounts, if you want to keep your rotors make sure you get calipers that are suitable for 160mm rotors. Most kits will come complete with new rotors though to be honest so it doesnt matter a great deal.

I can get hold of a set of new Quad Nano hydraulic brakes for about £75-£80 a pair for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by going_downhill View Post
    You just need some disc brakes for I.S. "international standard" disc mounts, if you want to keep your rotors make sure you get calipers that are suitable for 160mm rotors. Most kits will come complete with new rotors though to be honest so it doesnt matter a great deal.

I can get hold of a set of new Quad Nano hydraulic brakes for about £75-£80 a pair for you.
    Sound good so what comes in the kit ?, so what extra will I need to make them fit to my bike?? also will the come already bleed
    Last edited by James5; 05-10-2011 at 13:27.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope you will need to cut the cable down to length. Just a case of putting in some fluid dot 5.1 in the pot on the lever. Undo the nipple on calliper pull lever do up nipple and repeat, just like on a car matey.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

nice bar ends James.