Post Thanks / Like

Shower fitting advice

Bit of a strange one for a car club i know but it's in general chat so hey ho!

I've decided to rip my bath out and have a shower enclosure fitted,
    obviously i need the enclosure with tray,waste trap and a shower,but do i need a pump?

my taps are very high pressure so unsure if i need a pump? and power shower or just a normal shower?

alway's had a bath and no shower so forgive me if this is a bit stupid

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shower fitting advice

you should have about 2 bar of towns water pressure so just a power shower will work fine

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a combi boiler then you'll just need a mixer bar, if you've a hot water tank then you'll need a pump to boost the hot water to a similar pressure as the cold.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry this may be abit late but a normal shower will work fine.. you only plumb into the cold water for a shower as it heats the water itself.. 1 cold pipe feed will be on the shower and with abit of luck it will be mains fed so plenty of pressure. bestr way to find out is turn a cold tap on and put your finger under it... if you can stop the flow its from a tank but if you get wet.. itll be mains. hope this helps.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get that advise from? Cold water is never tank fed.

Post Thanks / Like

im an electrician and in old propertys its not unheard of to be tank fed. mostly industrial thou tbf.. factorys etc

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigdur View Post
    Where did you get that advise from? Cold water is never tank fed.
    My cold water upstairs is tank fed ie my toilet, bath and sink. My downstaires shower, toilet,sink and kitchen sink are fed straight from the mains.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Should really change that system over then if your brushing your teeth with water that's been sat in a tank with a dead rat and god knows what. I've never come across it in 15 years of trading in a domestic dwelling. Maybe it's regional?

Post Thanks / Like

Should really change that system over then if your brushing your teeth with water that's been sat in a tank with a dead rat and god knows what. I've never come across it in 15 years of trading in a domestic dwelling. Maybe it's regional?
    Evesham is near you, my parents have a cold water tank in their loft. It's what you need if the mains supply is iffy, or well pumped.

Separate tap in the kitchen off mains for drinking water.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

never had any problems with that matey, ive lived here nearly five years and im only brushing not drinking it, i even had to check my big diy book that ive got just to make sure i wasnt wrong.

Turn The Log tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you learn something new everyday. Good job I'm not a plumber lol

Post Thanks / Like

Dont think if you have a tank you need a pump

If you have an unvented cylinder/megaflow or alike that will provode ample pressure.

If you have a conventional indirect or direct cylinder then a pump may help the flow, although dont get to powerful a pump or you will rid the hot tank of hot water at to great a rate, then it wont be able to heat the water at the same rate your using it, hmm half a shower then a 40 min wait for the tank to re heat to finnish. Dont forget the hot water tank heats up via heat transfer from a coil, so your heating water is wizzing from boiler upto tank round the coil and back to the boiler. Keeping heating water seperate to *clean* albeit sat in a tank in your loft water. so the heat up rate is slow; unless like in unvented you somtimes have 2 coils and more of the coil,so its quicker recovery.

If you have a combi boiler check the flow rate through your boiler, and match up to what ever you get... if your hot water in the house is generaly poor dare i say it an electric shower off the mains?

make the right choices or you will waste alot of money.

Need any help pm me,
    Last edited by JRP; 29-07-2011 at 21:22. Reason: Raider_gtt syndrome struck me