Post Thanks / Like

what car for the mrs ?? 172 ?

Ok folks , heres the dilema ..

the gf currently has a 106 quicksilver, its a good little car however shes had it for over a year now, it does have a few small scuffs dents etc and i think its about time she got to drive around in somthing half decent.

The cars on the cards are

peugoet 106 gti < i know these well, can do the maintence, however its more of the same and they still seem to be holding values well considering there quite an old car.

Clio 172 < shes not a massive fan of the shape of these (large), i dont know the engines (sure i could learn), and they obv cost a bit more (3kish) also offers the benefit that she could attend the renault shows with me without being out of place.

Lupo gti < she loves the shape of these , however ive no idea about the engines and they all seem to be quite expensive , ( must be that vw tax coming into effect).

3k is really about the limit , spending less would be a bonus.

Any other suggestions or advice on the above ? ,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what car for the mrs ?? 172 ?

You could get a ph.1 clio 172 for about £1500-£2000. A lot of car for the money IMO

A clean 106 GTI could be had for less than £2k also

Post Thanks / Like

Lupo/Polo GTi would be a nice replacement i reckon

Post Thanks / Like

unforunatly shes not a fan of the ph1's due to the horrid fron lights ( i have to agree with her) make them look a little like a hippo.

If she was to have a 106 gti i would want her to have a tidy spec - unmolestered on really, as most seem have to been thraped to within an inch of their life. A 106 gti is a strong contender though as im a pug boy at heart.

As said the only problem with the polo/lupo is that the dub scene seems to be booming recently and prices on them are very high for anything decent.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough! I quite like the ph.1 172.. even if it does look like a hippo

You could quite easily get a ph.2 172 for £3k, and it would be a much better specced car than the 106. They are plenty reliable too, and quite a nice place to be. Not saying the 106 isn't (my friend has had a 106 gti and currently has a clio 182), but the clio has more toys, and has a better feel to it IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post

Lupo gti < she loves the shape of these , and they all seem to be quite expensive , ( must be that vw tax coming into effect).
    Seat Arosa, almost identical and a hell of a lot cheaper

Post Thanks / Like

already tried that one dawn, not interested, the look dosent seem to really work aswell with them, i guess its the headlights that really make the lupo.

just been looking at mk4 golf/polos

Post Thanks / Like

172 gets my vote, you would get a very clean ph2 for under £3k. I paid that for mine 6+ months ago, that was a 1 lady owner car with 42k.

I've been keeping an eye on prices and people are struggling to sell equal cars for that money now.

I know your a pug fan, but by comparison the 172 is a lot more car. I'd put the 106 slightly above a saxo. and you wouldnt want one of them..........would you?

Can see how you would be interested in a VW, i'd look at golf's rather than polo's and lupo's as there is so many, the prices reflect this and you'll get a better car for the money.

Go on PH and do a search on the classifieds between £3000 and £3200. it might throw up something you hadnt thought about.

Post Thanks / Like

saxo vts?? cheaper than a 106 gti?

206gti's are cheap now too...

Post Thanks / Like

unfortunatly ( and i know there very similar cars) but from working on others ive found a common issue with saxos being that the rear of the bulkhead/jacking points rot to death and its a major job to weld up, unfortunatly she hates saxos aswell, i think its the whole "chav" themewith them.. ive just been looking at the phase 2 clios and yourright, they really do seem to be struggling to shift them. I think her only issue with golfs is the size, shes a little uncomfortable with large cars.

hmm plenty of info their to think about that, i will let you know how the searching goes.. gota shift her 106 quicksilver aswell first , although i think that will get snapped up quite easilly.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm.. update, shes thinking about holding onto the 106 for a bit then saving up for an s2000

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea! S2k's are very nice cars

Post Thanks / Like

get an insurance quote first................S2000 = bloody stupid amount of money.

I was shocked when i checked out of interest some time ago.

honestly...........silly amounts..........must have a bad rep for crashes, stolen etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Take my advice....just give her the money & let her chose her own car.
    if shes anything like my missus she will tell u she likes the car you picked you buy it then 2 weeks later she wants to sell it & buy the car she really wants

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    get an insurance quote first................S2000 = bloody stupid amount of money.

I was shocked when i checked out of interest some time ago.

honestly...........silly amounts..........must have a bad rep for crashes, stolen etc?
    I found them to be quite reasonable compared to similar performance / price cars! But yeh, it's always worth checking quotes first.

I would recomend getting a quote with Bell.co.uk too... I found them by far the cheapest.