Post Thanks / Like

Oil Leak Elimination

Last weekend Shaver and I worked on his car as he couldn't get 5th gear, which we fixed by adjusting the rod connection to the gear leaver and also tightened his down pipe which was loose and blowing. Whilst working on the car Shaver cleaned the silicone hoses as they were a little dirty.

As he went to go home and pulled off my drive i noticed an oil leak dripping every one to two seconds. As it was getting dark Shaver just got the car home as he only lives 5 mins down the road. When he got home oil was sprayed up the inside of the bonnet right above the fan belt.

This weekend we have de-greased all the engine block and bay etc as it was in need of it and was rather riffy following the leak, this evening we have left it all to dry with the intention of jacking it up next weekend to find the leak.

The leak is only present when the engine is running I just need peoples advice on where to start looking for the leak and what to eliminate first etc.

It doesn't appear to be the turbo oil feed, or the oil lines into the rad (at rad end and filter end). Dip stick is also well and truly located. Where else could oil leak from.

I wonder if one of the hoses have been disturbed when they were being cleaned? it seams to be dripping from the left hand side of the engine as looked from the front of the car, but this could run from anywhere I guess???

I've attached a pic of the bay to show you how the car is set up and one taken after the car got home last weekend after the leak was found. We have put a clean board under the car to catch the drips next weekend when we fire it up. Hopefully it will be easy to spot and this e-mail will be pointless but im edging my bets as i dont want to be scratching my head next weekend if it isnt obvious.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil Leak Elimination

Split oil cooler pipes? Sandwich plate loose? Oil filter loose/ hole? Oil cooler pipe connections to sandwich plate loose

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil Leak Elimination

From the location of the oil i would go with what james said.......also you could jack the front of the car up (really securely) start her up put it in gear and spin her up....see where the oil is coming from......but this would be my last resort if i couldn't find it visually