Post Thanks / Like

selling r5s is anoying

Im selling the tungy F reg r5 and having lots and lots of offers for swaps on otehr vehicles which is all good etc, however the thing thats really starting to get anoying is the myths that hover above the cars are causing people to ask anoying questions.

Not, does the car run sound blah blah

but instead "when was the headgasket last changed"

Everybody who calls seems to say they owned 10/20 of these before and that they ran 300/400bhp yawn, and one told me he ran so much boost he had to use jubilees around the engine to hold the head on...

Ahhh man just a bit of funny reading for you, got a few folks wanting to come see the car at the weekend so will see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: selling r5s is anoying

I had loads when I sold mine mate. Even though I put px Impreza I still had will you swap for my Saxo! Got there in the end.

Post Thanks / Like

And you got a bit more than expected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    And you got a bit more than expected

Post Thanks / Like

quite funny that, id be interested in 106/saxo (tu3 engine, easy to work on and cheap to run) yet ive been offered an subaru wagon lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    quite funny that, id be interested in 106/saxo (tu3 engine, easy to work on and cheap to run) yet ive been offered an subaru wagon lol.

Thats what I wanted!

Post Thanks / Like

lol, i avoided it due to running costs and the fact i know nothing about them should ti go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

one told me he ran so much boost he had to use jubilees around the engine to hold the head on...

That's awesome!

Ive got this mental picture of a c1j rocker cover squashed flat 'cos he's tightened the clips so much to keep the head down, fecking pikey barry boy!
    That's better than the time i saw someone using the plastic tray thing from a Ginsters pork pie packaging, jubilee clipped over the expansion tank. He said it was because the std expansion tank cap kept blowing off

Post Thanks / Like

indeed its great, i even had one guy ring telling me the car must be ****ed because its to cheap (£1400) he then told me he would give me £800 cash.. nonce

im sure more funny times will come and ill keep them updated :P

Post Thanks / Like

when i was sellin my 5 the offers i was gettin was unreal...... and like you say, every1 pretty much said they had owned a fair few b4 hand then asked me questions like "when was the cambelt changed" mmmmm......

shes gone now bought myself a clio williams2. shes a nice drive, nowhere near as fast as my old 5 but shes comfy and good on fuel. which is what i want 4 the minute. ha!

Post Thanks / Like

sweet man, i was offered a r19 charade which i kind of liked but i wudnt suit a big car.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm selling my red 5 at the moment, and I get stupid questions.. so far I've had:

'Hi any problems with overheating?' out of the blue, when I said in the ad' that it's a reliable runner, and I've had no issues with it

and another guy asking if I wanted to swap it with a bodykitted 1.6 astra with 136000 miles on the clock.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sweet man, i was offered a r19 charade which i kind of liked but i wudnt suit a big car.
    Would that be a phase 1 white renault 19 chamade?

Post Thanks / Like

hehe indeed it was big foot , really looked tidy aswell, problem being i need a cheap runner

Post Thanks / Like

hehe indeed it was big foot , really looked tidy aswell, problem being i need a cheap runner
    Cheap runner, cant get much cheaper than the 19 valver for a good performance car, can get 350 miles from the tank plus 137bhp as standard. Plus those engines just keep on going, mines currently on 149k miles and with only 1 gearbox changed, still on original head gasket plus the amount of abuse around the track, 3 times to germany plus towing a clio 172 back 250 miles from germany. These cars will keep on going.

I know who he is, he asked if I knew anybody wanting to swap his valver for a 5. He is after a small hatch to have some fun in, also looking for a valver hatch to swap his chamade for as he is going to track it.

Post Thanks / Like

yea man, when i say cheap runner though im thinking more a £400 306 td that can be abused , need somthing to carry car parts around in etc you see

Post Thanks / Like

the other thing being a know nothing about them, whats the interior etc like in them and what are tehy generally worth ?do they suffer from rot like the r5s?

Post Thanks / Like

Phase 1s are miles better than the phase 2, phase 1s they normally bubble around the rear arches. Engines are easy to work on. Nothing complicated in there.

They come with about 3 different interiors, the leather seats which are nice but mainly cracked or split, you get a felt like material (got this in my convertible) and is very comfortable, and then you get the cloth (stay away from these as when they split they just look crap, even when not split they look like it anyway) you are very well supported in the seats. Rest of the interior looks nice for what a renault is for that generation of cars.

Book space in the chamade, I managed to fit 7 renault 5 alloys in there, convertible you can fit about 1 beer can in there, and the hatchback is about the same as the chamade.

Only problem I have ever found with these cars is if you want to remove the front bumper you need to take everything apart nearly, wheel protect plastics, indicator lights, grill, plastic grills, then the bumpber, only had to remove that as wanted to put the tow eye back as some intelligent person decided to snap the last one

Fuel as said above, great to drive and handles well for a larger car.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm i may go ask for some more info on the car, will need to check my insurance on it aswell though. Will be the largest car ive ever drove lol.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a 19 16v, make sure it's the non-ABS model.

Post Thanks / Like

is the abs a problem on these cars then >?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    If you get a 19 16v, make sure it's the non-ABS model.
    made that mistake first time round, had a chamade with the ABS and it decided to give up on me damn electronic braking, definately a wierd sensation, but phase 1s didn't have ABS im pretty sure.

Insurance is group 15 but comes to £270 for me for the convertible which is going to be higher than the normal car any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Did they have the same system on the clio? or was it just the 19 which was nicknamed the widowmaker.

Post Thanks / Like

sweet ok, 15,, hmm same as my 205. Im going to ask him for some more info, from what i can see they dont fetch mega £££ but his looks in good conditon whereas my r5 need some tlc and bodywork so i guess its a fair swap possibly.

Post Thanks / Like

sweet ok, 15,, hmm same as my 205. Im going to ask him for some more info, from what i can see they dont fetch mega £££ but his looks in good conditon whereas my r5 need some tlc and bodywork so i guess its a fair swap possibly.
    Phase 1s fetch more money than phase 2, if you are interested sign up to retro-renault and there is a lot of info on there about them.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers man, i will do when i get chance, just emailed the guy and hes said he can give me any details i need, ash his name is. Are these cars as long as they loook?, anything to watch out for and anywhere to look for rot etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, thats him. They are old style mondeo sort of lenth I guess. Plenty of space in there though which is great. Think he swapped the engine over to a low mileage one.

Most problems are cosmetic really, liquid display in dash sometimes seeps, seats tear but thats like any car of that age. Heater controls sometimes break, last two cars one was snapped off, the other was glued on and wouldn't move, easy job to change over, same style as the renault 5. Rust on rear arches. ABS (as stated above) make sure the idle goes down to 1k as possible speedo cable problem. Rear engine mount is always a problem, pain to change but im guessing when he had the engine out he would have checked that.

Post Thanks / Like

yea he did say engines from a 60k clio.

Quite interested in the car now, think ill ring him after work to discuss a bit more.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I scrapped a lock up full of R19 Phase I parts, I couldn't even give them away, so the local scrap man cleared the lot for me.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds familiar

Post Thanks / Like

hehe fun times for you deej! i just hope u dont sell to the wrong person who is likely to not respect it and blow the thing up 10 mins down the road!

feel sorry for you matey, i hate selling cars, we both too honest