Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Standard Springs? Where?!?

Where can I get them new?

Mikes gone quiet so where else? CGB has none either.

Are there any on ebay that aren't just Campus springs?

Getting annoyed now...

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Standard Springs? Where?!?

Might be some on ebay, to be honest people that fit new standard springs end up with a car that looks rather 'jacked up' at the front even after it has settled. Best bet would be to buy some new good quality -30 or -35mm lowering springs. Old standard springs will become compressed over time so will look lower .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Might be some on ebay, to be honest people that fit new standard springs end up with a car that looks rather 'jacked up' at the front even after it has settled. Best bet would be to buy some new good quality -30 or -35mm lowering springs. Old standard springs will become compressed over time so will look lower .
    Yeah I get what ya saying. I'm seeing ads for YKB springs which are a decent make and seem to be specific to the GTT but it's still a bit of a gamble.

I did see someone say that they had out -20mm springs but I can't see any anywhere! That would be OK.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Update. KYB list a specific spring for 87-91 GTT.

And I've spoken to Unipart who also have a specific listing.(I forget the brand!) Call back Monday.

Rang renault. They list some, but need the colour codes! Two colours are showing as no longer available.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Got several sets on cars just need to get them off. They will need media blasting and powered coating to look good again. Have had a few days working on my own cars so not been on line much.

Thanks Mike

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Current thinking is to just get a set if lowering springs and get OE springs sorted over the winter.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_S View Post
    Thanks Mike. Current thinking is to just get a set if lowering springs and get OE springs sorted over the winter.
    Get a stiffer suspension Matt. OE springs are pony. My advice is get some konis off the club shop. I've had OE and konis and the difference is massive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Get a stiffer suspension Matt. OE springs are pony. My advice is get some konis off the club shop. I've had OE and konis and the difference is massive.

This.

Post Thanks / Like

Any new standard rideheight springs that are available now are the wrong length i.e. Too high. If you want o.e height buy second hand original springs.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Any new standard rideheight springs that are available now are the wrong length i.e. Too high. If you want o.e height buy second hand original springs.
    This is true. But I can't find any at the moment that can be fitted this week!

Thanks for the comments.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok,

I've spoken to a company that can make springs. Any spec you want. So I'm thinking of getting a second hand std spring and having it measured up and then reproduced in NEW steel and powder coated black.

This could be done for less than £100 a pair I reckon. When you consider that second hand springs are £50 a set plus delivery from one of the two main suppliers we use and then they need blasting and coating, I think it's a good option. New springs that aren't 20+ years old.

Would there be any takers if I was to get a few sets made up while I'm at it?

Post Thanks / Like

i could be interested. i need to know whether mine is standard height or not tough. it looks a bit to high i n my opinion.does anyone know the factory height to the bottom of the arch to ground?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had Matt with the std white one measure his for me...

Front - 59cm
    Rear - 55cm

Put a pic up to show us yours. I'll add pics of KYBs and the Apex -35mm that are on there now

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Only pics I have on the KYBs are from the for sale ad...

Lowered...

Post Thanks / Like

What are the poundage of the original springs? I assume the manufacturers have asked you that already?

Edit - that first pic of the white GTT looks like it's on the wrong springs (i.e. too high), like Brigsy says above.

Post Thanks / Like

Standard height springs on my five had the green and grey paint blobs on them when cleaned up. Just had them powder coated the other day.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    What are the poundage of the original springs? I assume the manufacturers have asked you that already?

Edit - that first pic of the white GTT looks like it's on the wrong springs (i.e. too high), like Brigsy says above.
    They are KYB springs listed for the GTT. and yes, as said it looks too high. There was a LOT of tension on them when they were bolted in.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my ride height.