PDA

View Full Version : Removing old sills

tiff_lee
28-05-2009, 21:00
Ok ordering my replacement sills on friday what is the best way to go about removing the old ones and lining up the new ones for welding?

I thread somewhere with regards to replacement panels in general tack them over the top then cut through the replacement and original underneath so they line up for welding, does that make any sense?

Anyhow no doubt someone on here does it for a living so advice please :)

rhys0_0
29-05-2009, 08:19
If you cut through the both then you will loose the thickness of the cutter in matterial. I.e a few mm's all the way round. The plate will just fall through the hole you cut. I'd cut the old out then cut what you need from the new one to suit. Less weld needed to fill the gap then and less work to dress back. :)

Where you getting your sills? Beevers auto panels are good quality. When i had a sill from them anyway :)

tiff_lee
29-05-2009, 10:00
Yeah I did think I would lose out on the thickness of the cut, just how else will I get both panels exactly right when cutting them without messing about too much?

What if I had the new sill slightly lower to compensate for it then just brought it up a few mm tacked in place and welded?

rhys0_0
29-05-2009, 13:29
Cut the old one out (all the rust). Match a sheet of cardboard to it by cutting and offering it up, cutting some more if need be to get it perfect then cut out the new sill from your template?

Few ways to do it really. Depends where the sill has gone.