PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leaks/Overheating

Bass J
24-05-2009, 22:16
I was running my car today ..looked under and found a puddle of oil . Noticed it was coming from the oil return pipe going to the sump from the turbo. Ive seen this before and replaced it with a SFS pipe but there is still a leak . Its also leaking from the oil lines going from the block to the rad..i tightened them all the way up as they were off the car before ...and they are still leaking. Has anybody got a quick fix for this? as i havent even got the car on the road and its already making a mess of my garage :laugh:.

Also today i left the car idling for a good 10mins to find it was overheating. I bled the system before i changed my coolant system back to the canister as i was running a straight pipe from waterpump to the heater matrix. I tried bleeding the system and it was just air/steam coming out. Will i have to push the water round the system by blowing into the tank again then?

I did also post about a knocking noise before...thought it was the waterpump ..took the alt belt off to find the noise still there. Am i right in saying it could be the tensioner. Or should i go for the safe bet and get a new waterpump,chain and tensioner on order?

Sorry for the daft questions but we all have to start somewhere :)

Barr's Irn-Bru
24-05-2009, 23:13
I was running my car today ..looked under and found a puddle of oil . Noticed it was coming from the oil return pipe going to the sump from the turbo. Ive seen this before and replaced it with a SFS pipe but there is still a leak . Its also leaking from the oil lines going from the block to the rad..i tightened them all the way up as they were off the car before ...and they are still leaking. Has anybody got a quick fix for this? as i havent even got the car on the road and its already making a mess of my garage :laugh:.

Also today i left the car idling for a good 10mins to find it was overheating. I bled the system before i changed my coolant system back to the canister as i was running a straight pipe from waterpump to the heater matrix. I tried bleeding the system and it was just air/steam coming out. Will i have to push the water round the system by blowing into the tank again then?

I did also post about a knocking noise before...thought it was the waterpump ..took the alt belt off to find the noise still there. Am i right in saying it could be the tensioner. Or should i go for the safe bet and get a new waterpump,chain and tensioner on order?

Sorry for the daft questions but we all have to start somewhere :)

Recheck the oil return hose for splits as the tend to perish. Or the oil return pipe is at fault ,easy check in it's self .

You answered your own question, the cooling system needs bled. Make sure the water expansion tank is as high as you can get it when running engine, (also set your heaters to hot) (the wee *******o is famous for air locks in the water pump ,radiator etc.) A very easy way is to fill the water pump at the top most pipe connection .(I'm sure it's the pipe coming of the swirl pot to the water pump)makes for a quick and easy process .....remember to use your bleed valve on your rad hose the others you don't need to bother with .If all fails your water pump is fubard & or the thermostat aswel ......DO NOT LET THE ENGINE OVER HEAT OR YOU WILL COOK THE HEAD !!!!

Bass J
25-05-2009, 00:16
thanks for reply'n ...Im going to get the car on axle stands tommorow ...have a look at all the pipes ..tighten them up even more and check for splits etc :coffee:

Jono
25-05-2009, 10:38
Undo the bleed screws and either lift the expansion tank and let gravity do its job or blow into the expansion tank and tighten the bleed screws when water comes out whilst still blowing into the tank.

Dont run it again until you have done this!
Once you have this sorted make sure your fan kicks in.