PDA

View Full Version : cleaning coolent system

chris
22-04-2013, 22:15
I know this has been asked before so used the search function but cant find the answear can anyone tell me i want to clean my coolent system out on my 5 again i have done it twice and still get crap in there not alot just annoys me is there a way of doin this with a dish washer tablet any help appreciated thanks :agree:

Brigsy
22-04-2013, 22:26
Hosepipe and flush it through mate, take top rad hose off waterpump and back flush the block.

greggtt
22-04-2013, 22:33
Get the car hot , fan kicking in etc and crush up a dishwasher tablet and pop it in the coolant tank ( watch for the pressure in the tank when hot !!!!) run the car up again till fan kicks in and let it idle for 10 mins or more , up to you . Remove the bottom hose on the radiator and flush through with clean water , pop the hose back on and fill the system with clean water and run till the fan kicks in again, keep doing this till the water you drain out is nice and clean and fill with coolant and there you go , if it happens again possibly crud stuck in the matrix so if you can might be worth pulling the hoses that go through the bulk head off and flush them as well , used to have a problem with this on the first lagunas and dishwater tablet worked a treat:agree:

Mr Raider
Ive heard that some people drain coolant, fill only with tap water then pop a dish washer tablet in the header tank and run it, flush again with tap water then drain and fill with coolant as normal. :)

chris
I have done that mate i know its me being picky but just annoything :laugh:

Edit in reply to brigsy post

Mr Raider
22-04-2013, 22:37
Ah, well if its flushed enough times eventually no crap in it lol :laugh:

chris
22-04-2013, 22:40
Thanks gregg i put a new matrix,rad,hoses etc on will try it and report back thanks mate

greggtt
22-04-2013, 22:48
Ah, well if its flushed enough times eventually no crap in it lol :laugh:

As above just keep flushing it through then as you have replaced most of the problem areas , were they new parts????

chris
23-04-2013, 19:20
Yes mate all brand new

greggtt
23-04-2013, 21:29
Yes mate all brand new

Must be crud in the engine then , get a tablet in there and run her hot for a while , then flush the system , should loosen up and wash out ;)

Mart
23-04-2013, 21:33
Good way of cleaning the header-tank is to put some gravel/pea shingle in there, third-fill with hot water & washing-up liquid, and shake vigorously for several minutes.

Obviously remove all the gravel/stones before re-fitting the tank! :D